How one book can change the playing field

Sunday, August 9, 2015

DSC_0178

Personal posts are often the easiest to envision in my head, harder though to publish.   Too sad and the notion to end with a more positive outlook and a smiley face emoticon grows strong.  Too happy and there are many (many) deleted superlatives.  Knowingly however (and albeit cringeworthy at times), I write in the latter- positive, slightly more flowery in description and always with brevity.  A style that is true to me but one that can often restrict the so called dot, dot, dot in most stories.

The one in mine over the last few years has been due to loss- within my family, my relationship(s) and I suppose in some sense it has led to a disconnect within me.  As most of these have a connecting dot with my family, inner struggles that I hold so deep at times find funny ways of showing on the outside.

Everyone has a chapter they don't read out loud.

I love that quote because it is so refreshingly true.  As someone who has a tendency to hold in, as I grow older I realise how important it is to release.  Not just for myself but for that one person that has a similar story- camaraderie is an extraordinary feeling in trying times of growth or change.

DSC_0193

Lately, I've been finding a huge amount of inspiration and movement reading Arianna Huffington's book ''Thrive''.  In it, she talks about common metrics of success -money and power but urges the importance of a third; health and well-being. She encourages readers to redefine success in four pillars. I usually do not write or highlight in books- my copy of this book has both.  The following are some excerpts:

On second thoughts: It wasn't the answers that were changing for her, but the questions.  "It's not 'What do I want to do ?', it's 'What kind of life do I want to have?''' she says.  Her answer made her realise she had to make some changes.

On the reality of success: Your business might have a great bottom line, but you are your most important capital.

From Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: No one in our time finds it surprising if a man gives careful daily attention to his body, but people would be outraged if he gave the same attention to his soul.

On technology: Paradoxically, one of the biggest growth sectors for tools to help us deal with technology is...technology.  The first stages of the internet were about data and more data. But now we have plenty of data- indeed, we're drowning in it- and all the distraction we could ever hope for. Technology has been very good at giving us what we want, but not always what we need.

On well-being: Mindfulness, yoga, prayer, meditation and contemplation aren't just tools reserved for retreats over long weekends anymore-they are the ultimate performance enhancers.

There is a part where she recalls doing a 'life audit' and after reading the term, I am challenging myself to do just that here on the blog every Sunday to share.  ''We can use the power of story, and our primal need for it, to redefine our own narrative.''

I hope it encourages you dear reader, to do the same.  The following is a beginning introduction of a sentence in this book but I adore it as a statement alone- ''Moving from struggle to grace sums up.''

Moving from struggle to grace sums up.  So looking forward to the journey here, friends.

:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

alittlebird All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger