About your anchor

Thursday, August 27, 2015

picisto-20150826140521-283107 (1)
Firas jokingly calls me the support hotline for our friends- full of cheesy one-liners, mantras and weighted advice for those close to me.  As a person who wears her heart on her sleeve and has an embarrassing collection of quotes or book pages bookmarked or pinned, it sort of naturally comes with the territory.

When I was younger I had a friend, Jason (much smarter than his years) who would rather stoically give me the best advice.  Always a blanket statement that had enough scope for interpretation but aptly specific enough to hit a chord.  He would repeat it to me constantly in the midst of teen angst, frustrating circumstances, growing pains- I used to dislike it to an umpteenth degree.

What I now realise is that he was teaching me about creating an anchor.  A statement, a thought, an idea that took emotion out of a situation and inserted logic instead.  Very similar to focusing on an object while practicing yoga or returning to a pre-set protocol in work.  Something that would allow you to come back to a singular point of focus amongst the waywardness to help move you forward.

It's helped me so much and it's something that I realise I tell friends in conversations now too.  (Funny feeling that Jason is reading this and smiling).

Mine today: Nothing will make you feel better except doing the work. I hope creating your own anchoring statement or idea helps you along too. Let's go be amazing, friends.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts today Rincy! Sometimes you need some friendly words of advice to make you reevaluate a situation! I hope you've had a good week!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy but good week! I feel like I've been dishing out advice by the buckets and very much likewise been receiving it with open arms , hence this post! ;) Hope you've had a good one too xx

      Delete

alittlebird All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger